DNS not being set correctly

Home Forums Discussions Support DNS not being set correctly

Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    AlexDicy
    Participant

Hello, thank you for your response.

Some context:

I have IPv4 and IPv6 enabled and working in my home network. I use a VPS that only has IPv4.

I want to route all IPv4 traffic with WireGuard and block IPv6 traffic (because the VPS doesn’t have IPv6 enabled).

I use these configuration lines to block IPv6 traffic:

[Interface]
      Address = 10.128.0.3/32
      DNS = 1.1.1.1

[Peer]
      PersistentKeepalive = 15
      AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/1, 128.0.0.0/1, ::/0

The issue:

DNS queries are slowed down in the browser and not working in the terminal. Websites load extremely slowly and sometimes they fail to load completely.

I did 3 tests:

1. IPv4 and IPv6 enabled with DNS servers 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1
      2. IPv4 and IPv6 enabled with DNS server 1.1.1.1 only
      3. IPv4 only with DNS server 1.1.1.1 only

Tests 1 and 2 show failed nslookup and cause slowed down/broken browsing (like web pages not loading fully and taking a lot of time).

Here’s the link to the three tests: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1JIGSdrMuNDUMadzJEA9gyKxo21iAUIcx?usp=drive_link

Running using admin privileges and -lac option works, but the application mode causes these problems.

Vadim Smirnov
      Keymaster

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I will conduct a more thorough analysis. However, I have a hypothesis. It seems the system might prefer using IPv6 DNS over IPv4, which could be causing the behaviour you’re observing. Could you please perform a quick test? Disable the IPv6 protocol on your network interface in the Control Panel connection properties and check if it makes a difference.

AlexDicy
        Participant

Hello Vadim, as you can see from the previous post and the videos in the folder, I have already tried disabling IPv6 from the connection properties and it solves the issue.

ch001
          Participant

I have the same issue and can confirm that deactivating IPv6 solves the issue. Is there a way to fix this on future releases or is this the only workaround?

Vadim Smirnov
            Keymaster

I believe a viable solution is possible, but it will require some development effort. If the system prefers using IPv6 DNS and there is no IPv6 DNS address in the tunnel configuration, we can potentially extract the DNS query from the IPv6 packet, package it into IPv4, and send it to an IPv4 DNS server. The reverse operation would need to be performed for the system to receive an IPv6 DNS response.

I will try to allocate time to work on this, but my current schedule is quite tight due to other commitments.

AlexDicy
              Participant

Thank you very much

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.